Image via Wikipedia
On July 23rd, 2009 , Nick DeBenedetto, a 48-year-old resident of Tinton Falls, N.J., and the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a nonprofit advocacy group, filed lawsuit against Denny's Corp. in New Jersey, Reuters reports. (Read more on this story from the Los Angeles Times)
The suit contains data about some of the chain's high-salt meals. The Meat Lover's Scramble, for example, which contains cheese, eggs, bacon, diced ham and sausage, and comes with more meat on the side as well as hash browns and pancakes has 5,690 milligrams of sodium — the equivalent of nearly three days' advised maximum salt intake. (you can calculate it from Denny's Nutrition facts table)
Keep in mind that most people should limit themselves to about 2,000 calories, 20 grams of saturated fat, and 1,500-2,400 mg of sodium per day and look at these items:
- The Cheesecake Factory’s Chicken and Biscuits has 2,500 calories.
- Chili’s Big Mouth Bites with fries contains 3,940 milligrams of sodium, 2,350 calories, and 38 grams saturated fat.
- The Olive Garden Tour of Italy, with lasagna, chicken parmigiana, and fettuccine alfredo, has 1,450 calories, 33 grams saturated fat, and 3,830 milligrams sodium.
- The Cheesecake Factory Fried Macaroni and Cheese has 69 grams of saturated fat, 1,570 calories, and 1,860 milligrams sodium.
- The Cheesecake Factory Philly Style Flat Iron Steak with fries contains 5,340 milligrams of sodium, 2,320 calories, and 47 grams saturated fat.
- Applebee’s Quesadilla Burger with fries has 1,820 calories, 46 grams saturated fat, and 4,410 milligrams sodium.
- The Red Lobster Ultimate Fondue, a salty concoction of shrimp and crabmeat in a lobster cheese sauce served in a sourdough bread bowl, contains 3,580 milligrams of sodium, 1,490 calories, and 40 grams saturated fat.
- Chili’s Original Half Rack of Baby Back Ribs have 12 saturated fat grams along with 490 calories, and 2,050 milligrams sodium.
- Uno Chicago Grill’s Mega-Sized Deep Dish Sundae has 2,800 calories, 72 grams saturated fat.
- Movie theater popcorn offerings range from 400 to 1,200 calories, with one to three days' worth of saturated fat and up to 1,500 milligrams of sodium. Make it a combo and add 300 to 1,110 empty calories worth of candy and another 150 to 500 calories from a sugary soft drink to wash it all down.
- Starbucks venti dark berry mocha frappuccino has 561 calories like entire meal
Fast food eateries and the finest diners have limited choices if your goal is not to overeat and limit intake of fat, salt, sugar and common triggers of food intolerance.
Even restaurant salads - adored by people trying to eat healthy - are coming with many unhealthy ingredients (watch this video, for example). This includes processed salad dressings including trans fat, artificial flavors, excess sugar, harmful preservatives such as MSG, sodium nitrites (for example, in bacon bits). Restaurant salads are often based on iceberg lettuce that has way less useful nutrients than romaine, red leaf, green leaf lettuce, or spinach.
Aurametrix is working on tools to help you make the right choices.
Aurametrix is working on tools to help you evaluate your personal health risks and benefits and make the right health choices.